An economy-wide price on carbon is supposed to be a catch-all for GHG emissions, but the Clean Energy Jobs Bill lacks sectoral breadth, especially for new fossil-fuel infrastructure. Deficiencies include:
- Most activities that pollute or undermine climate resiliency will be exempted,
- the proposal adopts the most limited scope of emissions to regulate,
- a growing number of loopholes and exemptions,
- failure to halt the expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure, and
- inadequate safeguards to prevent fraudulent offset projects.
What we need is a solution that is fair, comprehensive, and scientifically rigorous.
Learn more here.