- This event has passed.
Climate Science and Policy Panel at Gorge Commission meeting
February 13 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Climate change is altering the Gorge in many ways, including a likely increase in wildfire frequency and severity. (photographer: Daniel Stindt)
This Tuesday there will be a special panel on climate change during the Columbia River Gorge Commission’s regular monthly meeting. There is currently no mention of climate change in the National Scenic AreaManagement Plan. The Gorge Commission and U.S. Forest Service are currently considering whether to revise the management plan to address the impacts of climate change in the Gorge. The Gorge Commission will hear from five climate change experts, including executive staff from both the Oregon and Washington Governors.
• Phil Mote, Associate Dean, Strategic Initiatives, Oregon State University College of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences, will discuss climate science and climate change in the Gorge
• Kristen Sheeran, Carbon Policy Advisor, Office of Governor Kate Brown, will discuss OR state policy priorities
• Rob Duff, Natural Resources Policy Director, Office of Governor Jay Inslee, will discuss WA state policy priorities
• Amy Snover, Assistant Dean, Applied Research and Director, Climate Impacts Group and NW Climate Science Center, University of Washington, will discuss how public agencies can incorporate climate science into management strategies
• Jonathan W. Smith, Commissioner, Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission, Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs, will discuss climate change and resilience
After the panel concludes, you will have to opportunity to comment on climate change and its impacts, as well as actions that the Gorge Commission and Forest Service can take to better protect the Gorge. This is a great chance to learn more about what is being done in Oregon and Washington to address climate change and to voice your opinions with the Gorge Commission. The management plan, currently under revision, provides for the overall management of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.
Columbia River Gorge Commission Regular Meeting
Tuesday, February 13 at 9:00 a.m.
Climate Change Panel at 10:00 a.m.
Best Western Hood River Inn, Riverview Room
1108 E. Marina Way, Hood River, OR 97031